What is ionic?
Ionic currently requires AngularJS in order to work at its full potential
Ionic is develop by company drifty and as they claim they are well founded so you do not have to worry it will be gone within a few months.
About the example app
Why example? Because I am in the middle of development and there is nothing good to show in context of original application that why I decided to create sample project that will show one of the features which is geofencing.
Geofencing is a simple idea of creating and monitoring virtual perimeter for a real world geographic area. Geofence could be any shaped area: rectangular, circural, polygon, everything depends on implementation. Geofencing could be used to set an alarm if someone enter/exit monitored region or dwell within for certain time. It could be useful to notify user about promotions, cool places around or simply to remind to do groceries when the store is nearby.
Geofencing on mobile devices
Cordova geofence plugin
I was looking for a plugin to manage geofences but could not find anything interesting that is why I came up with my own cordova geofence plugin which have some nice features:
- set, remove geofence (of course :))
- geofences persist after device reboot - no need to start an app, geofences are monitored instantly after device rebooting
- notifications - when you click on notification your app will be started, you can also pass some data to app to for example open specific page
- and much more coming soon
As I am writing this I only support Android platform but IOS and WP 8.1 will be supported soon.
For the sake of simplicity after long introduction I want to show just couple of screenshots with short description.
- add, remove circular geofences with radius, notification text and transition type
- using leaflet open street map by angular leaflet directive
- application notify I you enter/exit monitored geofence
- if you click on notification app will start and go to the details of triggered geofence.
Check it out on the github. Instruction and how to install application are also there.